Author Topic: Saab 9 5 Wheel Lug Nut Bolt question  (Read 99 times)

ChangeAgent

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Saab 9 5 Wheel Lug Nut Bolt question
« on: 01 December 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
I have summer and winter tires for my 2004 Saab 9.5.  I did not drive for a few winters as I was abroad and so I forgot that the rims for my winter and summer tires have different bolts.  The summer tires are on the original aluminium rims that came with my Saab.  The winter tires are a different brand (not from Saab) rim.  So at some point I swapped wheels but not bolds and so now I am remembering I have different bolts for the different rims but do not know what bold belongs to what rim. 

The cones are slightly different in dimension but I cannot figure out which one belongs to which rim.  I tried to see if one fits better to the rime but cannot see if one fits better or not. 

Enclosed is a picture of the bolds.  On both the cone is loose, but on bolt A one can not remove the cone and on bolt B one can remove the cone by removing the O-ring.

Does anybody know what is or could be the original one?

Or alternatively how one can find out?  Is there a way to measure in the rime what cone fits?

Picture here
https://ibb.co/J5pKGpX

or here
https://pasteboard.co/IJeqe2C.jpg

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. -  Carl Sagan
PS. Neither does your Saab.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 325
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Saab 9 5 Wheel Lug Nut Bolt question
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2019, 05:30:51 PM »
They look the same thing to me.  You could use either. 

If you are worried about the taper, put two different bolts pointing in opposite directions with the tapers touching.  Are the bolt shanks still parallel?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
I would say that A is an original bolt, but they are interchangeable as they appear to have the same taper
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon

Audax

• SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2019, 10:02:29 PM »
Bolt A is original Saab, I've never seen a Saab wheel bolt with an o ring included, however they look interchangable to me.

ChangeAgent

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2019, 09:16:13 AM »
They look the same thing to me.  You could use either. 

If you are worried about the taper, put two different bolts pointing in opposite directions with the tapers touching.  Are the bolt shanks still parallel?

good idea!  will test.  the diameter is slightly different though.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. -  Carl Sagan

ChangeAgent

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2019, 09:17:36 AM »
I would say that A is an original bolt, but they are interchangeable as they appear to have the same taper

I will test and see my post above