Author Topic: Dame Edna chrome mods  (Read 236 times)

Steve McF

• Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Dame Edna chrome mods
« on: 26 December 2019, 04:51:09 PM »
As an ex 9-5 owner, I still hanker after another after all these years, and if I was going to get one, I'd probably look at a Vector or Vector Sport.

So I keep an eye on the classifieds, even though I'm not in a position to buy one right now. I like the first facelift ones but late -  05 or 55 platers. But Dame Ednas are now in the same sort of price range, but I've never been sure about all that chrome at the front.

I've seen cars with the chrome blackened on dark cars, but they look like pimp mobiles!!!! However, looking at some cars on Autotrader I was wondering if anyone has blackened just the chrome around the lights, and left the grille as it is?

If so, does that work and look good?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 326
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Dame Edna chrome mods
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2019, 06:34:21 PM »
Itís a bit tricky, but all the chrome strips can be removed. Hirsch did a very expensive replacement set in brushed satin finish which looked good. Better than black or body colour in my opinion. I wondered about just rubbing over the chrome with emery paper to get a similar effect.

Other people have painted with Plastidip which gives a matte finish, and which can be peeled off if you donít like it.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
Interesting. I have a DE which has a bit of grottiness on the chrome trim so may be interested in treating this once the engine issues are resolved.

A couple of thoughts for a faux Hirsch finish

Rust-oleum - I know people who have painted whole vehicles with this stuff and got a good finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWk7HWTTu9w

or from the ironmongery world

https://www.gjohns.co.uk/satin-chrome
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon

Geoff1951

• Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 21
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
Years ago I saw a banger of a Ford Cortina that'd been painted all over with silvery Hammerite - the hammered finish version - with what looked like a six inch brush. I do not recommend this for your DE.

Steve McF

• Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Bet it sorted out the rust and extended the car's life :D

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2019, 07:51:54 PM »
One of my old MOT guys told me a story about a customer who had just bought a new van, Transit or something like that. First thing he did was paint it in Dulux gloss. Rubbish finish, but it never rusted
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon

Geoff1951

• Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 21
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
Further off topic... in the late 70's a cousin had an old Triumph Herald. Separate chassis. He knew it would pass the MOT with a duff reverse gear, but rust had got to the underside. He welded a 2 foot length of angle iron from an old bedframe to replace a rear outrigger. The MOT tester complimented him on the quality of the welding.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 326
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2019, 09:23:32 PM »
I worked with a man who gave his Morris Minor van a coat of vinyl emulsion every month.  He did it with a roller.  He reckoned it was quicker than washing it, because he only had to go over it once!! :D
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.