Author Topic: Keeping it?  (Read 5877 times)

Mark B

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
Keeping it?
« on: 15 April 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
Chaps,

the time has come to make "the decision".  I am quite tempted to keep it, but that requires a number of repairs to happen.  In particular the heater matrix needs to be replaced and the dashboard lights also require attention.  These topics have been discussed at length on this or the previous forum.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the instructions for doing these?  Also, what's the best source for a heater matrix?

Thanks, as always.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Keeping it?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2013, 11:26:40 AM »
I don't know enough about the 9000 to advise on the detail, but I subscribe to the theory that he cheapest car to own is the one you already have. 

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Mark B

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Sound advice indeed!

I called Saab for a price on the heater matrix; £325 before discount.  Eurocarparts £35.40 with free delivery.  I can almost pay someone else to put it in for the difference.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
As long as the car does not have extensive body rot, almost all mechanical repairs are worth doing.

The car dealer's favourite phrase "repairs are going to be more than the car's worth" is complete rubbish.  A car is a car.  Either is goes or it doesn't.  If it doesn't go, it's probably worth nothing. So a repair will make it worth something.

If it does go, then why sell?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Mark B

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
I have a small bit of rust on the front edge of the offside rear wheel arch, but I'm hoping that can easily be sorted, assuming I can get the trim off.  Fortunately Eucalyptus green is very close to smooth green hammerite!  I'm not sure about the dreaded rot below the windscreen, but it can't have been that bad when the screen was changed a couple of years ago.

In addition I need:-

nearside fog light (obtained)
nearside headlight wiper assembly (obtained)
thermostat (again!)
dashboard light bulbs (various)

I have just about given up on the leaking windscreen washer bottle.  I fixed it briefly, but now I just keep it below the level of the leak.

err, that's about it.  Of course the autobox is going to terminally expire at some stage, which will be the real decision point.

If we reach 20 years old (Feb 2014), I'll view that as a good success against the evil that is depreciation.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
Heater matrix isn't too bad. I've done it twice now- the second time because the used one I bought first turned out to have a leak...

It's even cheaper from www.carparts4less.co.uk, which is the mail order only sister of ECP. Their prices are generally 25% lower than ECP for the same parts.

Dash bulbs, annoying but not too difficult once the dash top is off.

Rusty rear wheel arches are a pain. I did mine two years ago and it's back... :(

For a paint match, try www.paints4u.com

Mark B

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
carparts4less want £21.90 for the heater matrix, a mere 62% of the eurocarparts price.  Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciated.