Author Topic: Cheap cars for new drivers  (Read 1514 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Cheap cars for new drivers
« on: 27 October 2023, 07:03:11 PM »
So number 1 son seems to keep looking at Autotrader now that he has passed his test (he's 17), although he is insured on (and currently the main user of) my Peugeot 107. As he has to take a drumkit to gigs, although it does fit in the 107 with seats folded, he wants to get something a bit bigger.

But insurance is horrendous on everything, if he is covered as the main driver.

Looking around on Autotrader/Ebay etc, he seems to have noted that the Dacia Sandero, seems to be a bit of a bigger car that is slightly less to insure (and tax if you get the right year/model). I've seen a couple advertised as spares repair because of 'oil in the coolant', so not sure if these engines suffer with head gasket issues.

Anyway, anyone recommend a Sandero, or anything else of similar size that is relatively cheap to buy/run/tax/insure for a new driver?
« Last Edit: 28 October 2023, 12:14:57 PM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Cheap cars for new drivers
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2023, 08:47:58 AM »
We went through this a while back with our grandson.  He also needed to carry musical stuff - guitars, amps etc.  In the end he just had to bite the bullet and pay up.  He had an old Nissan Micro, followed by our old 9-3 and just pushed things in.  If you mention “music” or “entertainment” insurance will be more difficult, if not impossible.  Even my wife had trouble getting insurance on the Carlsson, as a professional singer, and that was as standard.  There was/is no hope of her ever getting the Hirsch upgrade.

The other issue that was mentioned to our grandson was how big the car was, and the number of friends that could be crammed in.  In theory, the smaller the better, which doesn’t match with carrying stuff.  But I have head of anomalies where insurers hav insufficient data on unusual cars for young people.  One person on the forums found a Saab 9000 was cheap for a new driver, possibly because no young driver had crashed one!

When our two were young, a Maestro was quite cheap to insure. The slightly bigger hatchback might be an issue now, but what about “ugly”? The sort of car that’s “uncool” for teenagers, like a Renault Kangoo, Citroen Berlingo or Cactus.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2023, 12:28:06 PM »
going back about 13 years now, our apprentice at the garage was looking for insurance, basically everything came back the same for his first year, £3500... we were trying peugeot 106/107, nissan micra, tiny little Fiat's, corsa, fiesta... all the usual suspects. Plugged in the bosses 2.8 V6 Aero for a laugh... and it was pretty much the same amount, maybe slightly less. I think he just waited a year after getting his license as a named driver on the parents policy and then got a 4 cyl Aero.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2023, 02:19:35 PM »
Time is on your side. 

As an extreme example, our eldest son passed his test at 17.  We got him a Maestro with us as named drivers and it was quite a lot.  He was at school but got an evening/weekend job within a short bus ride, so he never used the car.  He didn't take it to uni as that was walkable too.  This continued for another 8 years or so.  When he met his future wife, she had a car.  He hadn't driven for over 10 years, but insurance was cheap as he passed all the insurers questions to add him to her insurance.

How long have you held a licence?
Have you had any insurance claims in the last 5 years?
Have you been convicted of and motoring offence in the last ... years?
etc.

To be fair, she would only let him drive the car while accompanied, and they put L plates on it for a month...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2023, 11:58:33 AM »
My first car was a maestro when I was 19 and working lots of different casual jobs. This was 1997, 1.3 Maestro worth about £650 at the time I think, first years insurance was £330 which wasn't too bad.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2023, 07:33:21 PM »
That's about the same time we insured ours.  We are in the outer London/Met Police area, and the premium then was £770.  That would only be £1900 now, using RPI.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2023, 08:42:18 AM »
I was in rural Norfolk at the time so less than half the premium would probably be about right. The remember the first time I ever drove on a dual carriageway was on my driving test!