Author Topic: Replacement 9-3 key case  (Read 29144 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Replacement 9-3 key case
« on: 17 September 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
Can anyone recommend a 9-3 key case that doesn't have the plastic buttons and is a functional equivalent of the original Saab case? Our spare key is going very very sticky and is going to start falling apart soon, I'd prefer to be buying a good case so if someone can suggest one they've actually purchased and used that would be great.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Replacement 9-3 key case
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
Someone has recommended one over on UKSaabs in the last couple of weeks.  It comes with a new (uncut) blade.  I tried to find it, but I couldn't...  Costs about £10

I have one that's got the proper buttons.  it was fine and I replaced the cases on the old Vector.  Those keys went with the car.  I bought what I thought were the same cases for the Carlsson.  They work OK, but they keep coming slightly apart on one side. :(  Mine were about £6 each and didn't have the blade.

I replaced the sticky rubber on the 9-5 key with "Sugru".  That worked well and it stayed on for over a year.  When I redo it, I will key it to the body better.  https://sugru.com
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
Yeah, the UK Saabs thread seems to have been deleted?!

Anyhow, I did find someone on Amazon selling a key with uncut blade for about £10 on amazon but that has fairly poor reviews, the only other one I've found is on ebay: 162195348082.

I love Sugru too, I've been using it for a few years now to repair stuff. Shame it won't repair a 9-3 key case.  ;)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2016, 11:43:09 AM »
 That Sugru's interesting stuff.

Mods - maybe make this thread a sticky?

::)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
I have now ordered 162195348082 from ebay and will report back when I get it. If this doesn't work out then I think I have found another seller in Ireland who has cases with clicky buttons.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
I bought one off eBay and it's been fine.

The original one had pretty much melted. I can't imagine what was in my pocket that might have caused that!  :o

...Probably from traces of Skydrol hydraulic oil on my hands to be honest; an evil phosphate-ester based hydraulic fluid that burns anything it comes into contact with.  >:(
One has to wash ones hands extremely well before going to the loo - or it puts a whole new angle on 'getting your fingers burnt'!  :o :'( :'(   ;D

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2016, 08:07:28 AM »
I bought one off eBay and it's been fine.

The original one had pretty much melted. I can't imagine what was in my pocket that might have caused that!  :o

Emollient creams seems to cause the casing to degrade. Given how many I've seen fall to bits from people who are not using nasty hydraulic oils I suspect that they used some kind of hypo allergenic skin friendly rubber that hates commonly used hand creams.

What case did you get from ebay as I do not want one without clicky buttons, I remember buying several different keycases from ebay around 2009 so we could find something to help out our customers, every single seller said they were OEM spec, not a single one had clicky buttons and they were all hard plastic, every single seller basically said not my problem, I can't believe it's still a problem finding key cases with a clicky button vs. hard plastic.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2016, 09:19:55 AM »
Hi Audax.

I can't find it in my eBay history as it doesn't go back any further than 2014.  All I can tell you is it was some years ago when I bought it, and probably not long after I joined the forum. Testimony to the fact it has lasted I guess.

Mine came with a new Saab logo/badge to attach to it, but didn't come with the key blade; I just transferred my existing key into the new casing. The fit of the key was just as firm and secure as the original casing, but not quite as accurately fitted around the curved part as the original, but it has never given me any cause to worry about the electronic bit falling off the key-ring.
I wouldn't say the buttons are 'clicking' ones however - but they are fairly positive, if that makes any sense. At first when it was new, the buttons looked and felt a bit like plastic but are in fact of a much softer rubber-like material.

The eBay seller would have had to have had as near to 100% feedback as possible as I won't buy from ones with poor feedback.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  :-\
« Last Edit: 22 September 2016, 09:35:46 AM by Max Headroom »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
So, the key case has turned up today, it was this one from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162195348082 seller name "pickmyone"

It does have proper buttons that move enough to click, the quality is OK but it doesn't clip together the same as the original and there are gaps at the sides, you also get a little saab logo included which isn't quite right and needs to be glued on separately. Anyhow, it'll do.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
I'm looking for the link to the one i bought Audax.

One of my keys had got really sticky so I got one off eBay for about a tenner which is clicky and fits really well. It did not come with the blade but is simply the end replacement. That was in December and it's still fine and hasn't fallen apart and you can still get at the blade key easily enough.

Will see if I can find link

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
I made it fit together a bit better just now by taking it apart again and carefully removing some of the flashing from the mould around the edges. It's a shame you can't just buy the genuine covers really. Anyhow, if people buy these and get a good one or a bad one it'd be worth recording on this thread to help people out in future so I've made this thread sticky (just like an old key cover for a 9-3...).

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
I wondered why the thread moved! I agree it could be a very useful tool for future reference

The eBay seller name 'Pickmyone' definitely rings a bell - I can't be certain, but it might well be the same seller I bought mine from

ReAxs7

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Skoda Octavia Mk 4 SE L First Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2017, 06:58:14 AM »
This is very much like the one I purchesed approximately four years ago for my previous 9-3, Fits to SAAB 93 95 9-3 9-5 Replacement Remote Key FOB CASING SHELL + battery. It is from the same eBay seller, "auto_moto_kris". Currently selling for £4.09. March 2017.

The only differences from then: a battery is now supplied, but not a small Saab emblem.

The soft rubber buttons allow for the "click" feel when pressed. I thought this a little firmer than my original, but by no means as stiff as flexing an all plastic case. The curve where the original key blade met the new casing was slightly out, but not by much. Although previously a small Saab emblem was supplied I transferred the original. Carefully lifted it off, cleaned the back and glued it onto the new case.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 09:33:08 PM by ReAxs7 »

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2017, 08:01:56 AM »
I've just ordered two more.

I go the wife one 3-4 yrs ago and it's still fine.

One of my originals (2008 / 100,000m is starting to get thin on the unlock button, so I'll replace it and keep one spare.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
I have two keys for the 9-3 I've just bought. Both cases will need replacing at some point as the rubber buttons are disintegrating slowly
First look on Ebay and I found cases for less than £4, but without the Saab badge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-93-95-9-3-9-5-4-BUTTON-CAR-REMOTE-RUBBER-KEY-FOB-CASE/221573317033?hash=item3396cc81a9:g:U3oAAOxyHntSVllW

He seems to have sold loads, and his feedback is 99.5%, so ought to be OK? There are others that are less that £3, but these look like the plastic shells mentioned before, rather than having proper buttons.

This one looks a bit better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-9-5-93-95-Aero-Replacement-Remote-Key-FOB-CASE-Repair-Service-KIT-IN-UK/332378789909?hash=item4d6351d815:g:K~wAAOSwkGVZtv5Q

At these sort of prices, am tempted to just order one and try and change one of the key cases over. Is it easy to that the innards out and refit into a new case?