Author Topic: a/c not working -9-3 2.0t 2006  (Read 1773 times)

mikseymono

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
a/c not working -9-3 2.0t 2006
« on: 01 June 2021, 07:57:02 PM »
Hi team!
Saab 9-3 2.0t 2006 Auto
Me again.....a/c has always worked, but only had the car 5 months, so never really used it for for than 5 mins other than to test.
However, when I put the a/c on, it just blows air sucked in from the outside and not nice ice cold. All fuses are OK, but I can see that the a/c clutch is not engaging. It happened yesterday but then I tried it again a few hours later and it worked. I have put one of those Halford jobbie refills on the low port side and it shows it has a good amount of gas from the dial....so can assume this is ok........is there anything else to look for? Bit of a noob on the a/c side but more than happy to learn.....

Just been out after 3 hrs since I turned it off and she is blowing ice cold again...so intermittent.........any clues out there?

Cheers,

M
« Last Edit: 01 June 2021, 08:14:01 PM by mikseymono »
Saab 9-3 2.0t 'Vector' Auto 2006

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: a/c not working -9-3 2.0t 2006
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2021, 09:24:48 PM »
It may just need using. I never turn my aircon off. If you turn it off in the winter and it’s not used, the seals dry out and the gas leaks out.   You may have a temp sensor issue. A Tech 2 session would read the sensor temps and you could see if they are plausible.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

mikseymono

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2021, 07:36:31 AM »
Thanks for reply......had an early morning school trip this morning...tried a/c straight away and icy cold......turned a/c off......engine still running...drove to school...30 mins.....drove back...turned a/c on and no cold air...so not working....does this sound more like it is low on freon? car has done 130k miles and no indication it has eve been re-charged...or is it something else?
Thanks,
M

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2021, 08:23:54 AM »
I'd suspect it's borderline on gas quantity. If it's never been done, take it for a regas. F1 Autocentres are normally quite competitive on price for this.

Alternatively, if you can get Tech2 on it, it can read the actual pressure in the condensor as well as relay states etc. Minimum operating pressure is around 2 bar.

mikseymono

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
Just been out for another run....two hours since shut down...and all icy cold........so suspect low on freon.....I'll take it to the garage and see if they can charge it up.

Cheers,

M

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
Agree with phoenix,  I was thinking later that a borderline gas level would do it, the actual level would vary slightly with ambient temp.

But you need to bear in mind why the gas leaked in the first place.  The recent use might has re-swollen the seals.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

mikseymono

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2021, 02:18:35 PM »
Thanks for replies.

Given the high temperatures now....I would have thought the level increases...expansion?.....so, it 'thinks' it has more in the tank....conversely this problem has only started since the temperatures have increased in the last week.......so may blow this theory out of the water!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2021, 06:58:56 PM »
It may be still leaking.  Or the heat maybe making the pipes and other bits expand more than the contents, but that is unlikely.

It may be that the temperature is affecting the clutch in the pulley of the aircon compressor, or even the electrical connection to it. When all the switches and sensors align, the car switches on a current to the compressor clutch.  If it doesn't, or the current doesn't get to the clutch, or the clutch gap is too big.  The compressor won't turn.

If it's the clutch gap, you can get shims.

mikseymono

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2021, 07:19:49 PM »
Thanks again team....got a few more long runs over the next few days so guess I'll find out soon........I think, as it has been suggested, it may just be low on Freon.....or even overfilled......anyhow's, fun times ahead.............especially as I have my 'Flexi fuel' (e85) spark plugs now.... :D
« Last Edit: 03 June 2021, 07:29:01 AM by mikseymono »

mikseymono

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2021, 01:36:07 PM »
Well, I've just measured the low port properly this time... :)....and it's reading low.........so hopefully a garage can re charge it properly.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers,
M