Author Topic: Edna non OEM head unit integration  (Read 30710 times)

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Edna non OEM head unit integration
« Reply #75 on: 29 November 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
no issues with the bong and cleared that you mentioned before

the SW1 and SW2 connections on the head unit that are used for the restive switches on the steering wheel control are both +3V, in spite of being labelled as being at +5V on the cables

W

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 29 November 2017, 05:11:25 PM »
Thanks - and you just used one of the 2 SW cables and ground?

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 29 November 2017, 08:15:53 PM »
Yes, just one live and ground

In your case you think the voltage is upsetting the sid and providing the right voltage to present the clear signal

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 29 November 2017, 09:31:52 PM »
I'd say you're right but you have given me a little hope since my sw1 and sw2 are supplying different voltages. I only tried sw1 so I'm going to try sw2 at the weekend.
Cheers
D

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 01 December 2017, 08:34:39 AM »

I found this which does work for the playlists but doesn't want to recognise steering wheel key presses

W

I did mange to get the just playlists app to recognise steering wheel key presses so it will skip tracks, but have hit upon the problem that temperature significantly affects the head unit's ability to recognise previously programmed key presses. I guess as it is a resistance approach and resistance varies as a function of temperature, the voltage that the analogue to digital converter (ADC) and associated logic recorded at the time of programming isn't being seen once the temperature drops, or the ADC is just bobbins.

One of these bluetooth controls might be the way forward for more consistent control

W

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 05 December 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
I've not had chance to try the other key/SW line for steering wheel control yet, but I'd guess the voltage they supply is just poorly regulated, hence the loss of control you're seeing and the intermittent "CLEARED" message I have on the SID.

Something you may find useful: I've installed "Night Toggle for Android Auto" that runs off GPS to calculate sunrise and sunset. It works with Google maps etc to trigger night mode within an app.
I've also installed the paid version of "Lux Auto Brightness" to dim the display after sunset and reduce the colour temperature of the display. It's meant to work with your camera to determine lux levels, however I don't think it works with USB cameras but again has a function to calculate sun rise and sun set from the GPS.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2017, 01:33:39 PM by fka »

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 05 December 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
the thing that is currently frustrating me is the lack of voice dial. Previously I had a parrot, so tap the call button and then voice instructions to make a call, this head unit doesn't have that capability

"ok google call..." on the head unit opens up the contact but won't make a call via bluetooth

W

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 05 December 2017, 10:55:08 PM »
I've found the same problem however the workaround I've used is as follows: on the handset in google settings > voice > activate "Bluetooth headset - records audio through Bluetooth headset if available". Also activate 'OK Google detection' > Trusted Voice.

This will pick up "OK google" via the mic and make the call with audio via the head unit.

I don't really like this as a solution as I don't like using OK Google, I don't want google listening all the time. And using Trusted Voice is not very secure as it basically unlocks your handset. Google even state it's not very secure when you activate it.

I have the Google Assistant icon on the homepage of the head unit, I'd like to activate google assistant by touching the icon, then making the voice request. However it's trying to use the head unit to make the call so gives the message "not yet able to make calls".

Still looking for a solution but I don't think the answer lies with google assistant, as it's running on an android device and therefore will only try to use the device it's running on to make the call.
You can say "Ok google, open Bluetooth" (assuming the Bluetooth dialer on you head unit is called "Bluetooth") and google assistant will open the dialer app, as this is system level. However you can't then use google assistant to control the app, as it has no access to it and/or knowledge of it's function.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 05 December 2017, 11:21:32 PM »
However you can't then use google assistant to control the app, as it has no access to it and/or knowledge of it's function.

Although saying that, on the google android auto help pages, people are saying google assistant used to work for sms and voice calls and now shows the "sorry I can't make calls" message.. Who knows, maybe a bug google will fix?

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 06 December 2017, 08:31:16 AM »
those are all of the circles that I am currently going around

it seems they did have an android 4.4 unit with parrot bluetooth but no longer offer that

W

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 06 December 2017, 12:19:36 PM »
Good to know I'm not the only one..
I mean it works as is, just not quite the way I'd like it to ... My neighbors must think I'm bonkers at the moment, sitting in my car on the drive for hours poking at the dashboard with one finger  ;D

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 06 December 2017, 11:02:09 PM »
Two interesting threads here on making voice dial work with Joying units. There is 3 different methods outlined in them.
I'm swinging towards the Tasker/AutoVoice method, mainly because I think there's a myriad of other things I could use Tasker for..

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/google-voice-to-initiate-calls-joying-t3528923

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/app-forward-dial-requests-google-voice-t3685217

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 29 April 2018, 06:31:13 PM »
Finally I've managed to get my hands on a set of salvaged screw covers for the fascia!
Understandably, those breaking want to offload the head unit with the screw covers. However I finally found a very nice chap on ebay (2011jedimaster2011) who was breaking a Vector and sent me a set of 4 for the cost of a stamped addressed envelope! True gent!

Not an exact colour match but far better then 4 holes in the dash.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 03 December 2018, 12:00:40 AM »
Just to resurrect this old fruit..

I fit this steering wheel control unit yesterday and it works perfectly!   ;D

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Saab-9-5-06-10-with-Denso-Nav-steering-interface