Author Topic: Improving gear shifts in a F40 6-spd manual gearbox  (Read 26660 times)

chris_de_ze

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Founding member of saabforum.gr
    • View Profile
Improving gear shifts in a F40 6-spd manual gearbox
« on: 03 January 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
Trying to correct the known issues and improve usability of the F40 6-speed manual gearbox (made by GM Powertrain Europe) in my car (MY2003 9-3ss 2.0T) I did the following:

1) Adjusted the gearshift cables (http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files3/F40CableAdjust.pdf)
2) Drained out the Saab gear oil (MTF0063 = Castrol synthetic 75w85 GL-4) and put in 2.25 litres of Redline MTL (70W80 GL-4) plus 0.25 litres of Motorkote lubricant additive.

The latest version of Saab WIS recommends 2.4 lt of gear oil when completely empty (after dismantling) or 2.2.lt when refilled, for the 6-speed manual gearbox (instead of 3.0 litres recommended by previous versions of WIS).

I can honestly say that shifting has greatly improved.  :)

Redline MTL is a much thinner oil than MTF0063 and with the addition of the Motorkote lubricant additive, gear changes are now smoother even when the car is cold (they were much tight before) and feel better once warmed up.

PS: Few months ago in my quest to find a solution I contacted Getrag and their chief engineer advised me to change the oil with something better. He didn't name any brand though. I hope the Redline MTL will do the job.  :)
« Last Edit: 25 February 2012, 08:19:39 AM by chris_de_ze »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Improving gear shifts in a F40 6-spd manual gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
Hi Chris - are you aware of the 6 speed mod from Two-Stroke-To-Turbo? I'm not sure if your g'box is the same as mine (I think it might be) but mine had become very vague across the neutral and it was difficult to find 3rd or 5th and became quite stiff to operate.
This kit can be done yourself - comes with video as well, and is not that expensive but solves the problem
Link here: http://www.twostroke.co.uk/

They seemed very helpful - why not give them a bell?

chris_de_ze

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2012, 11:34:47 PM »
Dear Trenchfoot, thank you for your suggestion. I will check that!

For those worried about using Redline MTL in their F40 gearboxes, I got the following answer from Redline. I don't know how convincing this answer might be but if anyone have a justified objection to that, I would be very eager to hear it. I had to ask Redline because on the MTL 70W80 webpage the following note is written: "MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears"

--------------------------------------------------------------
To: chris_de_ze
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: Red Line Oil Web Site Contact Form

Chris,
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the MTL is recommended and suitable for use in the Saab manual transaxle. The note on the MTL label refers to applications which contain a high offset hypoid ring and pinion where an EP GL-5 type gear oil is necessary, the Saab transaxle does not contain a high offset hypoid final drive ring and pinion, so does not require an EP gear oil, a GL-4 being well suited and safe for use.
Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: 03 January 2012, 11:47:35 PM by chris_de_ze »

chris_de_ze

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2012, 08:12:02 AM »
Some more information.