Author Topic: Lambda life?  (Read 3178 times)

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
Lambda life?
« on: 15 April 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
What is the general consensus of the life of a Lambda sensor.

I have found several references on the web saying they should be replaced at 70k to 100k.

I understand they get slow or can even fail but what mileage do ours last?

Steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Lambda life?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
They will lose performance from around 100k, I replaced one on a 9-5 and got around a 5-10% improvement in fuel consumption but nothing in another car.

If you do buy one get a bosch direct fit replacement but do not buy from powersparks on ebay as they are what I would describe as a bunch of clowns, although, that's offensive to clowns.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
Hmm, do you think replacing them now is a worthwhile expenditure at 209k? Or should I just add it to the list of possible failure items that you kindly noted a couple of months ago for me Audax  :P  ;D

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
At 209k I wouldn't worry too much depending on if you will keep the car or not. ;D If you want to replace everything to try and keep fuel economy up and avoid breakdowns then the list would be for a petrol 9-5, complete service, gearbox oil change (if auto), front lambda sensor, engine temp sensor and thermostat, crank sensor and all vacuum hoses, along with the good spare DI in the boot.

A new (genuine/bosch) lambda, crank sensor and temp sensor/stat should cost less than £130 if you shop around.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
I think circa 100k is the norm but you can sometimes breath new life into an old one by heating it to an orange glow with a blowtorch for a few minutes, which burns off deposits that impede operation.

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2014, 04:40:21 PM »
Does it make much difference if the car is mainly used for short trips?

Steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
Does it make much difference if the car is mainly used for short trips?

I have no idea and I'm not sure how you'd tell in the real world... I have known them to fail after what I presume is contamination from oil/coolant when a head/turbo has blown.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
At 209k I wouldn't worry too much depending on if you will keep the car or not. ;D If you want to replace everything to try and keep fuel economy up and avoid breakdowns then the list would be for a petrol 9-5, complete service, gearbox oil change (if auto), front lambda sensor, engine temp sensor and thermostat, crank sensor and all vacuum hoses, along with the good spare DI in the boot.
Mmm, well an auto fluid change is scheduled for 225k  ;D. I replaced the thermostat last year, the vacuum hoses are a bit ropy (just replaced one that had actually broken), and it had a new DI last January. So looking reasonable if you discount the ratty exhaust  ::)